Developing Realizable Strategies
Working with senior decision makers in organizations facing challenging and often public contexts, we have recognized that:
- Stakeholders/shareholders/members expect that the formal leaders are making informed decisions about the future risks and opportunities of the organization.
- Boards and senior decision makers need a shared way of perceiving, discussing, evaluating and choosing the strategic priorities for the organization.
- A more inclusive way of strategic decision-making creates a competitive advantage.
- Operational decisions are best left to operational managers.
- Better alignment between strategic and operational goals is required.
Strategy today requires an orientation and commitment to a way of planning that is both reflective and responsive. Uncertainty and change are the constant. Organizational leaders wanting to make a sustainable contribution in this environment must work together to:
- Ensure that the "brutal facts" and diverse stakeholder perspectives shape the context for making important trade-offs.
- Define and understand the objectives and criteria for reconciling what is realizable from what is desirable in any given environmental context.
- Be clear on the "intention" of the strategy to guide where to focus the "attention" of effort.
- Ensure everyone in the organization can see how their work impacts the mission and vision.
Any strategy is simply a choice about what to do and what not to do in a given context. These choices require numerous perspectives, the development of a shared intention and discipline to execution excellence.
How we support you.
We explore with you ways of harnessing the creative diversity of people and perspectives in strategic decision making. Using proven and flexible frameworks, tools and processes we simultaneously teach and support decision makers to work together in defining strategic options and priorities.
Specifically, what we’re good at:
- Stakeholder assessments and engagement
- Strategic and operational planning support
- Governance and operational "dashboards"
- Decision making support
- Executive coaching
- Retreat planning and facilitation
© Copyright 2013 tng, all rights reserved.